I'm doing what I hate the most...a post without a picture. However, I would not have wanted a picture to go along with this post anyway. I've decided that I need to record this for my own records so read on at your discretion...
Three weeks after Talia was born I started having really bad abdominal pains. It started off like a regular stomach ache but kept getting worse. I tried to make dinner, nurse Talia, and do some other things but finally gave in to the pain and called Darran asking him to try to hurry things up at work so he could come home and prevent dinner from burning. He made it home and I ate dinner amidst sharp pains. As the night went on it got so bad that I tried to lay down in bed for awhile. Unfortunately, that's when the vomiting and fever started. That got worse and the pain got worse. I couldn't be in any position but a fetal one. I asked Darran to give me a blessing so he called dad who came right over to help. A little while later, and after calling Sis. Ransom to get some nurse advise, we decided to go to the ER. I have never had to go to the ER so that was a new experience for me. Mom came over and she and dad took care of the girls through the night.
Through the long process of going to the ER they finally ruled out that I did not have appendicitis. They had hooked me up to an IV, gave me lots of Tylenol and pain medication, but couldn't figure out what was causing the pain. My fever when we were there at one point was 104! But my fever went down, I wasn't nauseous, and the pain had subsided some. So they sent us home...at 4:00am. They told us to try and see our doctor that morning and if we couldn't to come back to the ER.
We relieved mom and dad and tried to get a few hours of sleep. But I woke up again to excruciating pain and more vomiting. Mom was wonderful and took the girls for a couple of hours so we could get a bit more sleep until my appointment with our family physician at 11:30 that morning. I was in so much pain that I couldn't stand up straight. Poor Darran had to walk beside me trying to support my bent over body. My doctor couldn't figure out what was going on. He and the nurse practitioner decided to call my obgyn. He was not working that day but told them to send me over to see his partner. So we left doctor #2 and headed to see doctor #3...hoping to get some answers!
When we got there they did an ultrasound and the doctor came into the room after seeing the pictures and said he knew exactly what the problem was. I still had a piece of the placenta in me from giving birth. This was happening three weeks after Talia was born. The timing was kind of strange...usually it would manifest itself much sooner. So the doctor said let's take care of this now. So a couple of hours later we were in the hospital again...only in surgery this time. They needed to perform a D&C to get it out. So they put me under and I woke up in a whole lot less pain! It was amazing! They kept me overnight because I had developed an infection on top of all that. But it was nice to be pumped full of antibiotics and get it taken care of.
The hardest part emotionally was not being able to nurse Talia. But when all the medication was out of my system and we could get back to normal she didn't skip a beat...what a blessing. And the biggest blessing throughout the whole ordeal was Darran. He is such a loving, caring, supportive, and worrisome husband...and I love him for all those things. He was by my side the whole time and really was my biggest comfort. And of course I can't forget the blessing of having my parents and parents-in-law to jump in and help at any moment. What a relief to my heart and mind that my girls were in good hands and I could focus on getting myself better.
When we left the hospital the next afternoon we were talking about being there when Talia was born and then again three weeks later. Darran looked around the room and said, "Can we please not come back here for awhile?" I wholeheartedly agreed!
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What a scare. I'm glad you're feeling better!
I'm so sorry to hear about this happening to you. I wish I could've done something for you. I'm glad you are doing better.
I'm so glad that you are feeling better. What a scary couple of days!
That's awful Lori! Really, really scary. I'm so glad you are ok now. Kimberly told me about it, but I had no idea what a horrible experience it was for you.
I'm so glad you FINALLY got the help you needed. Scary stuff. I'm sorry you had to go through all that pain. It's hard enough to take care of two little girls (especially one being a newborn).
Post a Comment