Saturday, December 21, 2013

Week 33 = baby's arrival!

Introducing Lydia Lori Moody.  Born December 19th at 3:13 pm.  4 pounds 11 ounces 17 inches long.  We didn't quite make it to our ultimate goal of 34 weeks but this little girl is doing amazing and making it clear that she was ready to come at 33 weeks exactly!  On day 36 of our hospital day she decided to have a birthday!

Wednesday night (which was exactly 5 weeks in the hospital) I started having contractions.  While they had me hooked up to the monitors the contractions started to increase.  This was definitely something new and different since everything has been so steady since we arrived at the hospital.  I was on the monitor longer than normal so they could continue to watch the contractions.  And then things started to get serious.  More contractions and so they decided to put in an iv.  It's possible the contractions could have started from dehydration so the fluids began to flow through the iv.  And then I started to show some signs of infection...chills, rising temperature, etc.  When the contractions continued and the on call doctor came in to have a look it was decided that I needed to start getting ready to deliver.  Kimberly and Brittany had been visiting with me.  Kimberly stayed a while longer and Darran and Mom came to the hospital.  Dad stayed with the girls since it was around midnight that things really started to change.

However, signs of infection started to decrease and so the doctor suggested I try to get some rest.  Mom and Kimberly left around 2am and Darran decided to sleep in the hospital with me that night just in case.  I got a little rest but not much.  The contractions really started to diminish so they took off the monitors and let me sleep a little bit more.  So it would seem it was a false alarm...or maybe not.  The next morning when my doctor came in he said to monitor some more and have an ultrasound.  My contractions were not as often as the night before but they were a bit more intense.  The ultrasound looked great so my nurse called my doctor and told him the results.  He said I could eat unless I'm having contractions.  Which the nurse told him I was.  So we held off until he came back in.

After a long discussion with him we decided the best thing to do was to deliver that afternoon.  Literally 45 minutes after we decided we were making our way down to the operating room.  I was surprisingly calm - though extremely nervous.  Darran got all dressed up in his scrubs and they wheeled me down to the room.  Got me all ready and then let Darran come in.  Not too much longer Lydia was born.  The c-section went well and I could look over to the side and see them working on her.  After awhile she finally let out a cry...that's what I had been waiting for.  After the nurses got her cleaned up and checked they brought her over to my face so I could see her.  She blew bubbles all over my cheek.  Then they took her away to the NICU.  Darran got to follow them and so did mom.  They finished up with me and then took me to a room to recover.

This was the first picture I saw of her.  When I got to meet her again in person she didn't have oxygen or the tube down her throat.  She was already making it known she could do things by herself!

Cleaning her up.
My bubble kiss.



The beginning of her NICU stay.

Darran in his scrubs!
The girls got to come meet her the next morning.  The timing couldn't have been better.  The very next day the NICU closed to anyone under 16...including siblings because of RSV season.


Talia loved giving her kisses.
And Eliza loved that she has dark hair!


Happy Daddy...
...and happy Grandma!

She already loves hearing Papa sing!
Lydia is doing amazingly well.  They're hoping to start trying to feed this afternoon.  Her stay in the NICU might only be 2 or 3 weeks!  We're so excited and feel like everything happened the way it was supposed.  But more importantly everything has felt like blessing after blessing.  This girl is a fighter but we know she's had a lot of help from her Heavenly Father.  In the next couple of hours I get to go home!  And then the second chapter of this adventure will begin!

14 comments:

Jenn said...

Congrats! I'm so happy you are both doing well. i hope she continues growing quickly so her NICU stay is short. Merry Christmas!

Mollie said...

Yay! So happy. Darrin stopped by to drop off some tupperware and shared the good news. I was hoping to see an update here! And I LOVE the name. It's one I considered with Olivia. So happy you and baby are doing well!

April said...

Oh she is so beautiful and brave... just like her mama.... We are so happy for you and will continue to pray that you will all be home together as soon as possible!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. We'll pray for her that everything continues to go well! Great job, Lori. You are amazing!

Bryan, Stacie, Claire, Mia and Buddy said...

I am so happy for you and your family. She is adorable! You are an amazing woman! Your three girls have an amazing example to follow!

Sydney said...

I'm thrilled for all of you Lori! So happy your delivery went smoothly and little Lydia is breathing so well! And when did talia get so big all of the sudden? So grown up! And I loved that you used your name for a middle. Congrats! Enjoy Christmas with your family of five!

Darcee said...

YAY!!! Congratulations Lori! I'm so thrilled she is here safely! And she looks fabulous!!! Good job Mama! I'm so glad she waited so long to come so she could grow and now she came just in time for Christmas so you can enjoy time at home and with her being here…definitely a juggling act. I hope the next few weeks go by quickly so you can get your whole family back home together. Congrats! Love you guys!

Unknown said...

OH my goodness! She is just perfect! She looks wonderful! And I bet you are happy that you can spend Christmas with Eliza and Talia :) Congratulations on another beautiful Moody girl. Hope you are feeling well and that things will go smoothly over the next...well, 18 years or so ;) Love ya!

Unknown said...

What the heck?! That was MY comment, not Justin's.

DeAnne

The Davis Family said...

Congratulations Lori! I have been thinking about you! I LOVE her name...beautiful!

Love-Shanna

sheila said...

Lori, you are awesome and she is beautiful, of course! Love the dark hair!! Can't wait for your family to be home all together soon! Congrats to both you and Darran and your 3 special princesses! Love you all!

Chris and Beth Will said...

Congratulations! I am glad all is well with her and you. It's been a long journey.

Jana said...

The best news ever. Merry Christmas!!! This is one tough girl and I'm so happy to hear she is doing so well. Keep us updated.

Jana said...

I was so excited to hear about how well baby was doing that I missed the first line my first read through! What a precious name. Congrats again. I am so happy for you and hope all is still going so well. xoxo